Monday, April 2, 2007

Carestone Assisted Living

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak at the church service Windel & Sherry Burton, Don & Kathy Rose and Inez & I do for the residents at that facility. I chose Matthew 5:13-16 as a starting point. It says:

Matthew 5:13-16 (New International Version)
13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.


I took a small solar spotlight from our yard. I used the analogy that some scientist developed this solar powered device after reading Matthew 5. In these verses we are taught that we are the light of the world because of Jesus. Just as the solar light collects light and energy, then utilizes it when there is no light, so are we. Jesus told us to collect the light, the goodness of God and reflect that light to everyone around us. We are to "collect light, so we can reflect light."

After the service one of the residents, Mrs. Burns stopped me and said that the lesson really hit her today. I asked her what she meant when she said really hit her? She said that she needed to do better. I told her that she probably had no idea of how much good she had done, how much of an example she had been and how many people she had influenced over her life. And I said that our imperfections were covered by grace. She said, "she hoped so." I told her that the bible said so and I believed it. In Mrs. Burns long life, she is still wanting to do more. I understand her heart and see the need for more Mrs. Burns' in the world.

No comments: