Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Musical


We just finished the Antioch Summer Outreach Musical this past Sunday night. About three and a half months of work, three nights of the performances and about 800 people total who came to those performances to see us perform the Randy Gill - Jeff Walling version of Noah and the Ark. In all, there were about 70 people who work on or acted in this production. It was a lot of work and there were those who did so much more than I did to make it happen. It is always a happy closing night because you can let lose and have fun with the characters and adlib some stuff along the way. But, it is sad too. Sad in the fact that just about the time you have confidence in getting the lines down, where you are supposed to stand and those dance steps (something hard for us life long c of c people who can't dance and just don't have that body rythm) and getting it all put together in front of an audience, it ends.

This was my fourth of five musicals at Antioch. It is always hard to compare from year to year. There are really no comparisons because all of them are different and all of them have different people, different characters, different everything! One thing that was different this year was the "ROOT-Em On" award. Marcus Miller came up with the ideas in honor of Mike Root who started the Summer Musicals. It was two plastic goblets decorated with ribbon and ginger root. It was passed from person to person each night for work, effort and enhancing the performance for someone in the cast and crew. I thought this was a wonderful tribute to Mike for getting the Musicals started and the standard he set for the musicals.

I'm not sure how many more musicals I will be in if any. This year was a predominantly female cast and during the rehersals and the performances I realized that I was an in-between-er. It came to me that I was somewhere in between some of the groups of people in the cast and crew. Unfortunately there wasn't any of my close friends or hanging buddies in this play. It occurred to me that I wasn't connected to Antioch like I once was. We are involved in the CareStone ministry and have gotten committed to doing that each Sunday. We have gotten close and developed such a connection with our Small Group that overlaps the Sunday evening service we don't see people at Antioch as often and it has widened the connect I had with people at Antioch.

I guess the musical made me think about some of the questions I had set aside. Questions about truth over traditions, questions about double standards, about why things are accepted in certain situations and not in others? That made me realize I was an in-between-er because I didn't see anything wrong with it back then, just like I don't see anything wrong with it now. So, I am in between those people who do and did have that prejudice about an instrumental track. It made me realize that I still have those questions about what are we missing out on that God gives us because of our anchors on traditions?

No comments: